ORION SAFETY PRODUCTSWE'RE WITH YOU ON THE ROAD
Highway And Roadside Safety Products
For Retail And Commercial Use
Orion has been making highway flares and other roadside signaling products for nearly a century. Today, we’re the world’s leading manufacturer of these critical life-saving products. All of our highway flare products are made in the U.S.A. under the industry’s strictest quality and safety guidelines. When you purchase an Orion highway flare, you’re getting the best performing, highest quality, proven signaling product you can buy.
Check out our comprehensive selection of highway safety and signaling products. Find the one that’s right for you.
Why You Should Use Emergency Flares
Highway flares are the universally understood emergency distress signal alerting both oncoming and following traffic to a life-threatening situation. No alternative product communicates “emergency” like a flare – you KNOW there is an emergency when you see a flare and caution is required.
- Three flares create the equivalent “safety zone” as a police car with an activated light bar.
- Flares create a “safety zone” around disabled vehicles, police cars, and the citizens and safety professionals in attendance.
- Flares can be used to channel traffic around a disabled vehicle, roadway obstruction, or accident scene.
- The glow of a flare illuminates surrounding roadway elements (e.g., signs, bushes, vehicles) creating a large distress beacon.
- The brilliant and unique flickering of a flare is bright enough to be seen at great distances–yet not so distracting as to disorient passing vehicles.
- Flares self-consume. Safety professionals and consumers alike do not need to reenter the “danger zone” to retrieve the flare at the end of the emergency unlike all other battery operated and reflective signaling products. As a result, flares also allow for unique unattended applications such as unregulated railroad crossings.
- Flares are “self-contained.” That means you don’t need batteries, a lighter, a separate light source, or anything else to make them function. They are designed expressly for emergency situations.
- Flares are used effectively to signal emergency day or night, and in all environmental conditions, including adverse conditions like fog and snow when emergencies are most likely to occur.
Why Emergency Highway Flares Are Better Than The Alternatives
When you compare emergency highway flares to other signaling devices, you’ll find the alternatives come up short.
Strobes and LEDs are:
- Battery dependent (with resulting environmental implications).
- Not sufficiently bright (often less than 20 candela).
- Subject to breakage and theft.
- Not self-consuming such that they must be retrieved from dangerous roadways after the emergency event.
- An expensive product with ongoing replacement cost.
- Capable of becoming a lethal flying projectile when struck by passing traffic.
- Not universally understood as an emergency signal with no clear messaging.
Chemical Lightsticks are:
- Not sufficiently bright or capable of being seen (often less than 5 candela after 10 seconds).
- Virtually useless in daytime conditions (they provide no extra visibility).
- Weather-dependent (cold weather depresses lumens/candela output and warm weather depresses duration).
- Not understood as an emergency distress signal – lightsticks are more recognized as a novelty/fun product for children.
- Not self-consuming and must be retrieved from roadway after use (environmental considerations if not picked-up).
- An alternative low light source, good only for non-emergency uses.
- An expensive product when compared to cost of flare.
Reflective Triangles are:
- Dependent on an independent light source.
- Dependent on being set at a proper angle to alert oncoming traffic.
- Highly breakable if run over or blown over by passing traffic – we’ve all seen this!
- Ineffective in daytime or in adverse weather conditions – which is precisely when emergency signaling is often required.
- An expensive product – particularly when replacement costs are considered.
Safety Products For Emergency Responders & Law Enforcement
Orion is the world’s largest manufacturer of highway flares and other signaling products. We carry safety products designed specifically for use by professionals who are exposed to harsh conditions on a daily basis – emergency responders and law enforcement professionals – whose lives depend on it.
Highway Flare Safety Tips
- Always keep flares in your vehicle for emergencies.
- When in doubt, use flares to improve safety.
- More flares in a deployment pattern increases the safety zone.
- Flares serve as a force multiplier, allowing officers to do more than attend to oncoming traffic.
Using Emergency Highway Flares Improves Safety
- Alerts oncoming motorists to the presence of an accident or stopped vehicles.
- Slows approaching traffic.
- Moves traffic as far away from the accident scene/roadside obstruction as possible.
Highway Flares Have Been Proven to Be The Most Effective Signal
- A universally recognized safety signal that causes measurable and immediate safety response among motorists.
- The brightest safety signal both day and night – brighter than electronic signals.
- Reliable, easy, and durable, making them quick to deploy and ready when you need them.
- Proven effective in independent research to dramatically improve your Safety Zone versus flashing lights alone.
- The safety signal used most by law enforcement professionals for over 100 years.
For FAQs, product warranty information, how-to videos, Safety Data Sheets (SDS), and more, visit Support.
CONNECT WITH US
We love to hear from our customers and we’re here to help.